Charles Jones was commissioned into the Royal Engineers in 1925. He saw service with Royal Bombay Sappers and Miners in India between 1928 and 1934 and then became Adjutant for the Royal Engineers Contingent within the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division in 1934.
He served in World War II initially as Brigade Major for 127th Infantry Brigade which formed part of the British Expeditionary Force dispatched to France and Belgium in 1940. He was an Instructor at the Staff College from 1940 to 1941 when he became a General Staff Officer at General Headquarters Home Forces. In 1943 he was appointed Commander Royal Engineers for the Guards Armoured Division. He became Chief of Staff Malaya Command in 1945 and then Brigadier on the General Staff of 30 Corps in North West Europe in 1945.
After the War he was appointed Brigadier on the General Staff at Western Command in 1946. He then went to the Imperial Defence College in 1947 before being appointed Commander 2nd Infantry Brigade in 1948. In 1950 he became Director of Plans at the War Office and in 1951 he went on to be General Officer Commanding 7th Armoured Division, part of British Army of the Rhine.
He was Commandant at the Staff College, Camberley from 1954 to 1956 and then Vice Attorney General at the War Office from 1957 to 1958. He then became Director of the Combined Military Planning Staff at the Central Treaty Organisation in 1959 and General Officer Commanding 1 British Corps in 1960. He was General Officer Commanding-in-Chief Northern Command from 1962 to 1963 when he became Master-General of the Ordnance; he retired in 1967.
He was also Colonel Commandant of the Royal Engineers from 1961 to 1972 and National President of the Royal British Legion from 1970 to 1981.
The Right Reverend Basil O’Ferrall CB, MA
President 1997 – 2006
The Rt Rev Basil Arthur O’Ferrall CB, MA was an eminent Anglican priest in the second half of the 20th century.
He was born on 24 August 1924 and educated at St Patrick’s Cathedral Grammar School, Dublin and Trinity College in the same city. He was ordained in 1948 and began his ecclesiastical career with a curacy at St Patrick’s, Coleraine after which he became a naval chaplain. He served on amongst others HMS Victory, HMS Ganges, HMS Adamant and HMS Victorious before becoming Chaplain of the Fleet and Archdeacon of the Royal Navy, a post he held from 1975 to 1980. An Honorary Chaplain to the Queen, he was Vicar of Ranworth with Woodbastwick before becoming Dean of Jersey in 1985. He retired in 1993, lived in Winchelsea and died on 23 June 2006.